Sunday 3 November 2013

Camping on the Clyde River

On the jetty on the river





At the river as little grommets
Since I can remember my entire family along with many close friends have gone camping on the Clyde River near Batemans Bay. It is here that I have made some extremely important memories and discovered individual passions. It is so intense to see and feel how the nature of these experiences has changed as my age and personal growth has occurred. As a child going camping on the river was one of the things I looked forward to the most. This included things such as motorbike riding, water skiing, wake-boarding, tubing, roasting marsh-mellows, playing with fire-sticks, climbing trees, building tree forts and having mud-fights, all the things children use to do before technology took hold on the younger generations of today. The major thing I recall about all of these experiences was the notion of fun and how enjoyable every day in this remote paradise was. As children we were basically little ‘ferals’ running around shoe-less and without worries in an environment that encouraged our freedom and creativity. When I think back on the things we use to do I can only compare it to something like the Wild Thornberries, minus the exotic animals and with the addition of plenty more little grommets. Camping in the bush as kids just made us feel free. It really preserved the innocence of the activities we were being involved in and every day we were challenged by something new or learning new skills. For example; I still remember as a young child learning to water-ski amongst the smacks of jellyfish surrounding me within the water. It reminds me of the fearless qualities we had as children and the thought of being surrounded by jellyfish these days does not sound extremely appealing, even accompanied with the experience of water-skiing, tubing or wake-boarding.
Family friends
Me at the river with my dog
Saying this, however, when I did accomplish or learn new skills such as water-skiing (which did not seem to take a large amount of time, I was a little freak as a child) I had this overwhelming feeling of success and heightened self-esteem and self-confidence and want to continually push myself to do better or accomplish harder things. At the age of nine I was already using one water-ski with ease. It is experiences such as the above that have instilled in me a constant desire to achieve more and push myself out of my comfort zone to accomplish more. This is a skill which has really been positive all throughout my life, whether it’s my attitude towards sport and wanting to strive for the highest possible level, or in my studies and achieving my optimum results. It is simple being outdoors is just fun. Going camping on the Clyde River still remains to this day one of my favourite things to do. Not only has it allowed me to be involved in activities such as canoeing, kayaking, motor-bike riding, fort building, tubing, skiing, wake-boarding and bush walking it has just given me a general passion and appreciation of the outdoors. As I have become older and return to the same area I remain with the same passion for this place. I have come to appreciate it for what it really is, rather than just a playground of freedom. The environment is just so beautiful that you can and I have just lie in the sun watching and listening to the sounds of the birds tweeting in the trees, the water lapping against the shore-line with the glistening sun reflecting on the water. Waking up early numerous times whilst camping at the river has really allowed me to appreciate the true beauty of the outdoors. The morning fog remains on the top of the water, and just as it lifts the river reflects the surrounding environment, like an over-sized mirror. The view of this has really just allowed me to appreciate how beautiful nature can be. I have taken numerous photos and it is difficult to tell what side is the reflection of the tall gum trees, and which side is actually the shore line. It is difficult to explain how important and what a major part of me this place is. I can only think of positive and diverse experiences when I think of camping on the Clyde River. It is a place that my parents took me all throughout my youth and is a place I will want to take my own children to so they can experience the true beauty and amazing experiences which accompany being outdoors. This is the place that my love for the outdoors really has stemmed from. I can attribute so many positive childhood memories to being outside and in a continuously challenging and education environment. I feel I learnt more camping at the river than I did in the first six years of my schooling career. When I think and look back on all the amazing things I have done and the amazing people I have had experiences with, it brings about an overwhelming feeling of happiness. I find it difficult to explain having such an emotional connection to a place. I think the fact that I have memories with everyone I love throughout the different stages of my life at this very place, plays a big role in this connection. Even when things have been confusing or upsetting, returning to the river always makes sense and brings about those feelings of happiness, adventure and belonging.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment